Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Have A Winter Whiteout Day

So I admit it. I've been feeling pretty blah lately about winter. I mean, if we even got some snow around here I'd be happy with that. But I've been watching the entire East Coast get slammed with winter weather, while it's somehow managed to skirt around the DC area every time  just about! To me, winter should be cold and white. I'm not talking about 'shut everything down because we're snowed in' conditions. Even just a inch or two dusting every few weeks would be fine. Gimme something at least!

So in lieu of actually having a whiteout outside, I decided to create my own. I actually pulled some inspiration from a magazine here, either Lucky or In Style, I can't remember! There was a feature about dressing in whites, creams, beiges and other light neutral colors in the winter, contrary to the outdated "no white after Labor day" rule. Now there are some fashion rules that I've never felt pressured to adhere to, and that is one of them. However, I also don't wear white or cream often, let alone from head to toe. So I thought I'd give it a try...
Coral Tank - Old Navy; Lace Scoop Neck Tee - Ross; Cream Cardigan - Target; Floral Print Skirt - Target; Cream Oxford Peep Toe Booties - Seychelles via Urban Outfitters
I liked using this skirt for a base because it's got a cream background but it adds all these pops of color and visual interest with the print. The coral tank plays off the orangey reds in the skirt and along with the lace tee, helps to add more visual interest. Too much white and I would have looked washed out but I think the colors and textures visually end up balancing out. The skirt is on the shorter side, so I couldn't have pulled it down any further, but I think if it were 2-3 inches longer it might have helped to balance the proportions a smidge better.


Now if only we could get some snow... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment