Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Have A Black and White and Red All Over Day

Ay dios mio! This month has surely run away from me. I can't believe it's already the 19th! Last week was another crazy week guys, as it was mid-term week. I only had 2 exams to take since I'd already taken the other 2 previously. However, in my sewing class we had to turn in our construction notebook, which is basically a portfolio of the stitches and seams we have learned. It took me forever to complete because I redid some of my stitches so many times! Luckily I got an A on it when all was said and done. :)

Another crazy yet FABULOUS thing I did last week was volunteer at an event for Fashion Club. I signed up to volunteer at a fundraising gala in DC, with no idea that it would include a runway fashion show with *actual couture* clothing!!! The designer we worked with was Caroline Seikaly and her pieces were literally to die for!! We ended up working with 2 models each and being responsible for getting them dressed and undressed and in queue. Boy was it hectic! Within 15 minutes I had to help 2 models dress and undress into a total of 7 outfits. But it was an amazing experience and I feel so fortunate for having the opportunity!



Zebra Print Dress - En Focus Studio via Ross; Grey Oversized Cardigan - DKNY Jeans via Marshalls; Red Peep Toes - Poetic License via Ideeli
The day I wore this, I was going out for some drinks with the BF and some friends after work. With that in mind, I knew I wanted a cute cocktail look, so naturally a cocktail dress seemed most appropriate. But since I was going to work and school also, I wanted to play down some of the sexiness of the dress by adding the oversized cardi. I like the ripped, unfinished look of the cardi against the zebra stripes, making for a nice textural effect. I also like the contrast of lengths, with the cardi longer than the dress in the front (the back of the cardi actually comes up a bit but it is not seen in the photos). There's just something I love so much about the color red with neutrals and this outfit is no exception. The pops of red are subtle - the headband, the necklace and the shoes - but it pulls the looks together better than if I had chosen neutral toned accessories instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment